If we did all the things we are capable of, we would
literally astoud ourselves. - Thomas A. Edison

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Let Freedom Ring


This 4th of July, I made my own flag. It's not the traditional red, white and blue but it does have stripes and a few stars...



I decided to keep some boards natural because the knots and grain of the wood was too awesome to cover up! The other boards, I simply dry brushed on some white paint...


 
I knew I wanted to go larger with this flag so I choose a pallet that had the larger planks. As soon as I saw these boards I knew I had to try and keep them intact and use every knot, nail hole and crack I could. I love the texture on these boards!



It was such a pain to pry these boards off, but well worth the effort! I love all the nail holes. I even took our grinder to the nails, grinding off just below the nail heads so I could keep them in the boards.


Because I lack any artistic skills in the drawing department, I did what any useful person would do...trace. I have this little star that I used as my outline. Once I traced the outline of my star, I cut it out with the jig saw.


Some other tools I used was wire and rusty bells to join the boards together. I layed all my boards down on the garage floor, on top of a piece of plywood so I could drill the holes for the wire. The hardest part was getting my spacing between each board just right. Once I had each piece of wire cut (6), I shoved some bells on and twisted the wire together. I have this handy little wire twister thing (no idea what it's really called), but you can use a pencil or even your finger depending on how thick your wire is.



I wish I could say I was original with this one but I did get some inspiration from The Lettered Cottage with their coastal-style flag.


There she is in all her distressed glory. I'm still deciding if I need a 5th "stripe?" Such a simple craft, go find a pallet and get started. I think she'll be hanging out all year long...

I'm linking up with Donna this week...

18 comments:

cinnibonbon said...

I adore this!!!!!!!! This is just beautiful, thank you for sharing.

cinnibonbon said...

PS..love the mute dcolors and especially the rust jingle bells!!! Too, too sweet.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

How beautiful is this! So simple and striking!

Shared this with FJI Facebook for SNS 97. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150351904501141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Kara @ June & Bear said...

This is really beautiful. I like that it's not traditional.

ANNE said...

I think you are very talented! This is so perfect. And thanks for clearing something up for me - I always thought the saying was 'let freedom reign' lol.

Cheers!

Barbara Jean said...

this is awesome. totally my kind of rustic thing.
And, I have fence boards galore!! Talk about huge!!

blessings
barbara jean

oSoPurdy said...

Thanks so much for all the love!

The cool thing about this project is you can go as big or small as you want Barbara Jean... fill up that wall if you have too!

LOL Anne! I hope it is ring otherwise I sound like a fool!

Twinkle Terrior said...

You are officially one of my creative HEROES!!! :)

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

I totally forgot to send out my monday comments to let folks know they were featured! I love the flag! Come and grab a button!
Kim
http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/09/good-morning-sunshine.html

Jacqueline said...

Very very clever! I love the whitewashed non traditional look. Perfect for a large space too. Really tasteful and would fit in with more decor styles than red white and blue.

ibshell said...

My initial reaction upon viewing this was "this is the best board flag I have EVER SEEN!"...I SO need to make one of these now!! Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your tips. I LOVE the curled wire and rusty bells. SO charming! XoXo ;)

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

This is a gorgeous piece! It really turned out great.
Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Love this... it is perfect! :)

Carolyn said...

Saw this on Pinterest, wanted to let you know I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, eνery time i used tο check weblog pоsts here in the early hours in the morning, for the reason that i like to
gaіn knοwledge of moгe аnd more.


Also visіt my page ... hcg side effects in women

Unknown said...

I love the flag, but i really love that table!! Did you make it?

Anonymous said...

What did you use as a white wash?

Anonymous said...

What did you use as a white wash?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...